Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think creatively and to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products. They draw on knowledge from other subjects such as maths, science, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, and through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop an understanding of how things work.
At St. Peter’s Catholic First School we are committed to the development of the whole child to their full potential. Through Design and Technology all pupils will be given the opportunity to:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their own ideas and products as well as the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook some foods
- develop a love for Design and Technology and the opportunities made available to them.