Subject Leader – Mrs. Sophie Cole
At St. Peter’s Catholic First School we are committed to the development of the whole child to reach their full potential. Our Music curriculum allows children to explore their imagination and express themselves and their individuality freely through the exploration of a variety of different tuned and untuned musical instruments, different genres of music and a variety of different musical artists. We encourage children to develop as creative thinkers, exploring and celebrating their ideas, feelings, attitudes and values. We aim to allow children to express themselves freely using music as a medium. The planning and sequencing of our curriculum will enable pupils to build on previous learning and enable children to know more, remember more and do more. As a Catholic school, we help our children to develop their CSPP Virtues and Values. This leads our Music curriculum to encourage learners to be inspired by the awe and wonder of God’s creation through studying the work of musical artists through a variety of genres as well as allowing the children to compose their own individual pieces. This use of expression allows individuality to be explored and celebrated.
We provide opportunities for all children to
- create, play, perform and enjoy music
- develop the skills to appreciate a wide variety of musical forms
- begin to make judgements about the quality of music
- know and understand how sounds are made and then organised into musical structures
- know how music is made through a variety of instruments
- develop the interrelated skills of performing, composing and appreciating music.
- How does this music make you feel?
- Do you know who the artist/composer is?
- What does this music remind you of?
- Could you imagine this music in any films you have watched? Why?
- Do you like it? Why/why not?