Mathematics teaches children how to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand relationships and patterns in both number and space, in their daily lives.
Scroll down for Easter TIME games
The aims of teaching mathematics are:
- to promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion
- to promote confidence with numbers and the number system
- to develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of contexts
- to develop a practical understanding of ways in which information is gathered and presented
- to explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts
- to understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life
How to help at home
Quick recall of times table facts is essential for many aspects of maths, and can also improve a child’s confidence. Here’s how you can help…
Calculations at St Peter’s
In order for you to support your child’s maths learning, we have created some guides to show the way we solve and record calculations at St Peter’s. Our Maths Calculation Guide for Parents shows the progression of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division throughout the school, with examples for each year group. In addition, there are video clips shown below that guide you through each method.
Useful websites and Games
Easter TIME Games