Mathematics teaches children how to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand relationships and patterns in both number and space, in their daily lives.
- to promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion
- to promote confidence with numbers and the number system
- to develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of contexts
- to develop a practical understanding of ways in which information is gathered and presented
- to explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts
- to understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life
Spring Term 2022
Maths and Times Table Rock Stars Day!
Wow! What a fantastic day we have all had. The children all looked absolutely wonderful in our Celebration Assembly. They all had a chance to stand up, do a twirl and show off their fabulous outfits to the whole school. It was great to see Reception and Year One wearing a variety of different ‘Maths’ costumes – I particularly loved seeing a human dice and calculator!
We also displayed the children’s maths posters around the hall for everyone to see at dinner time.
And as for our rock stars…all I can say is YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!
I can’t believe how much effort everyone has gone to, so I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone, you all got thoroughly involved and looked AWESOME!
Autumn Term 2021
How to Help your Child at Home
Quick recall of times table facts is essential for many aspects of maths, and can also improve a child’s confidence. Here’s how you can help…
Calculations at St Peter’s
In order for you to support your child’s maths learning, we have created some guides to show the way we solve and record calculations at St Peter’s. Our St. Peter’s Catholic First School (Academy) Calculation Policy 2021 shows the progression of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division throughout the school, with examples for each year group. In addition, there are video clips shown below that guide you through each method.
Websites that will support your child’s learning in Maths