Physical education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. A balance of individual, paired and group activities: co-operative, collaborative and competitive situations aim to cater for the preferences, strengths and needs of every pupil.
We provide opportunities:
- to enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and coordination
- to encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations
- to develop the way children perform skills, and apply rules for different activities
- to show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance
- to teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise
- to develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination
- to develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities, and how to evaluate their own success
- to inspire the children to have a love of learning for physical activity.
CTA Netball Competition
On Saturday 9th March we took nine Year 3 and 4 pupils to compete in the Worcestershire Catholic Teachers’ Association Netball Tournament at Blessed Edward Oldcorne Catholic College. The children played extremely well and came up against some tough opposition. Overall, the children drew two games and lost one, but fought to the end and were unfortunate not to get a win. Everyone enjoyed the day and they were all great ambassadors for our school, showing fantastic sportsmanship throughout. Thank you to all of the children that took part and the parents who were great supporters.
Cross Country Competition
On Friday 1st March Class 3R visited St. Bede’s for a Cross-country event and were not only excellent ambassadors for our school but they won the event, which included competing against Year 4 pupils! Some of our children have now qualified for the District Cross-country competition at the end of March. Well done everyone!
On Friday 8th February Key stage 1 and 2 took part in an intra-house Dodgeball Competition. We were lucky to have Jon Miller in to help us host it. All of the teams played so well and showed great sportsmanship. The winner for Key stage 1 was St. Andrew’s House and the winner for Key stage 2 was St. David’s House.
We spoke to some of the Year 3 children after the competition to see what they thought:
Zoe – “It was really fun and I enjoyed taking part!”
Will – “I liked that we were in our house teams and we got to play against all of the other houses!”
As part of the PE Curriculum children are required to be able to:
– swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
– use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
– perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
At St Peter’s we feel that swimming is a fundamental skill to every child. We are lucky enough to use the Bromsgrove School Swimming facilities for our Year 3 and 4 pupils. Year 3 children swim every Tuesday from the start of the Autumn term until February half term. Then Year 4 children swim every Tuesday half way through Spring term untill the end of the school year.
The children absolutely love going swimming and it is great to see how much the children grow in confidence and skill from these sessions.
Year 3 enjoyed learning the waltz as part of their Time Travellers Topic.
Our PE Policy
- Jack Hartmann – https://jackhartmann.com/
- Go Noodle – gonoodle.com
- The Daily Mile – https://thedailymile.co.uk/
- Just Dance Kids – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLHZeKbMUo
- Super Mover – www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/supermovers
- Marathon Kids – Kids Run Free – https://www.kidsrunfree.co.uk/mk/
- Maths of the Day – https://www.mathsoftheday.org.uk/
- Active Travel – www.sustrans.org.uk/our-services/who-we-work/teachers/how-transform-school-travel
- Cosmic Yoga – https://www.cosmickids.com/
- Bikeability – https://bikeability.org.uk/
- Scootability – http://scootability.org.uk/
- Wake Up Shake Up – http://www.wakeupshakeup.com/
If you wish to speak to the co-ordinator of Physical Education then please contact Sarah Runcorn