Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE)
During PSHE we strive to meet the individual needs of every child spiritually, intellectually and socially, in their growth towards becoming independent and responsible members of our school community and society.
In PSHE we aim to:
- develop confidence and responsibilities and make the most of each child’s abilities, through recognising their own worth
- develop a sense of self-worth, self-confidence and self-esteem
- work well with others
- prepare to play an active role as citizens in a diverse society
- develop a healthy, safe lifestyle with the ability to make appropriate risk assessments
- develop good relationships and respect the differences between members of the school and the wider community
- teach children about their rights and responsibilities
- make a positive contribution to the life of the school and the wider community
- develop an appreciation of what it means to be a positive member of a diverse and multicultural society.
Relationships and Health Education (RHE)
As part of our PSHE curriculum, our school is participating in a brand new Relationship Education programme for Catholic primary schools, titled Life to the Full.
The Life to the Full programme is based on ‘A Model Catholic RSE Curriculum’ by the Catholic Education Service which was highlighted as a work of good practice by the Department of Education. Therefore, we have confidence that the programme will be fit for purpose in supporting the growth and development of your child.
Life to the Full is much more than a series of lessons. It is an entire platform of creative resources that will engage, inform and inspire our children. This includes interactive video content, story-based activities, employing a wide range of teaching tools, original worship music and an accompanying programme of classroom prayers.
In Life to the Full, we follow a three-stage structure which is repeated across three different learning stages:
- EYFS is aimed at Reception
- Key Stage One is aimed at Years 1 and 2
- Lower Key Stage Two is aimed at Years 3 and 4
Within each learning stage, there are three modules which are based on the Model Catholic RSE Curriculum:
- Created and Loved by God
- Created to Love Others
- Created to Live in Community
Each Module is then broken down into Units of Work:
|Module 1||Created and Loved by God|
Me, My Body, My Health
|Module 2||Created to Love Others|
|Module 3||Created to Live in Community|
Living in the Wider World
The programme adopts a spiral curriculum approach so, as the children go through the programme year-after-year, the learning will develop and grow, with each stage building on the last.